A Grim Hack
A Grim Hack
Grim settings and perilous adventures await!
A Grim Hack is a Hack System with a pseudo-historical feeling that wears its influences on its sleeve, providing a streamlined rules system based on old school Grim & Perilous Fantasy Games from the 80s and 90s. It provides the basic ruleset to get your gaming group started quickly and playing right away.
- Quick - Players new to the genre don't need to spend 3+ hours creating characters that might not survive the night. Great for those new to Grimdark and new to TTRPGs.
- Random Character Creation - Grim worlds mean that your characters aren't always specialized and optimized. Random generation lets you play characters you would normally shy away from.
- Lethal Combat - Combat is quick and deadly. Engage at your own peril!
- Dangerous Magic - Magic is dangerous to both mind and body. You are free to cast magic, but be aware of the risks and choose widely.
- Stress, Trauma, and Injury - Stress and trauma are real consequences that your characters will have to deal with.
- Flexible Magic - magic is rules light and flexible. Sample spells are included but Magic can be much more narrative focusing on desired effect and in setting difficulty.
- Straight forward d100/2d10 system where you roll under stat+skill and look at the degrees of success.
The rules are straightforward, with no implied setting details requiring specific mythologies or cosmologies. You will find it simple enough to incorporate mechanics and ideas from other games into this ruleset.
While this is an homage to the original grim fantasy of the 80s and 90s Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay (WFRP), most of the inspiration for this game came from the following:
- 17th Century Minimalist
- White Hack
- Unknown Armies
- Cakebread & Walton’s Renaissance D100 Black Powder
- 40 pages, A5, saddle stitched zine, b&w cover and interiors